Black Friday Fundraiser for Housing Forward

Event date: 

Friday, November 24, 2017 - 9:00am to 9:00pm

 

If Thanksgiving is for thanks, why can't Black Friday be for giving back?

At The Book Table, it is. Come celebrate the day after Thanksgiving with us as we donate 10% of all in-store sales to Housing Forward (formerly West Suburban PADS).

Since 1992, Housing Forward has provided refuge and resources to more than 5000 people who have become homeless in their service area–Cook County's 20 near-west suburbs. Housing Forward is the only agency whose sole purpose is to end homelessness here.

Most people know Housing Forward as the provider of Emergency Shelter. In fact, Housing Forward is the only safety net available to the hundreds of men, women and families who turn to them every year for food and a safe place to sleep. And they're able to satisfy that need with support form a dozen local service providers, 55 faith communities and 1000 volunteers.

What most people don't know about Housing Forward, however, is that what they do to move guests out of the emergency shelter, out of crisis and into a permanent housing situation. Only 10% of Housing Forward’s cash budget is allocated to the Emergency Shelter program. The remaining 90% is devoted to the intensive support programs and resources most guests require in order to break the cycle of their homelessness.

Housing Forward offers Supportive Services that satisfy basic needs and case management to connect guests with housing, income, health care resources and life skills courses. Their day-time, year-round Support Center and administrative offices are located in Maywood, Illinois.

Housing Forward’sSupportive Housing programs range from short-term financial assistance to longer-term housing and case management for people who are working and also homeless, including permanent housing for those who are homeless and have a mental health diagnosis.

For many of Housing Forward’sclients, these services provide all they need to get back on track. Others need additional help overcoming the barriers that prevent them from finding and keeping livable wage jobs. To aid them, Housing Forward created a unique, therapy-based Employment Readiness initiative called Career Passport which prepares clients for a successful, sustained re-entry into the workplace.

Finally, Housing Forward’s Homeless Prevention program gives one-time rental, mortgage and utility assistance to those who face imminent eviction or foreclosures, thus breaking the cycle of homelessness before it begins.

For more information about Housing Forward, find out how to make a donation or volunteer your time, please visit www. Housing Forward.org

And remember to join us on this day as we're able to both do our holiday shopping and give back to the community at the same time!

Event address: 

1045 Lake Street
Oak Park, IL 60301