Please note: We do not buy used books between Thanksgiving and New Year's. If you are looking for a place locally to sell used books, give Looking Glass Books a call at 708-434-5515. They're located at 823 S. Oak Park Ave. At the bottom of this page, there are also places listed that accept donations.
Used books only comprise a small part of our stock, therefore we are quite selective in buying them. Please keep the following guidelines in mind when selecting books to sell to us.
- We do not buy used textbooks, encyclopedias, or outdated materials such as computer manuals or travel guides more than a year old. We do not buy magazines.
- In general, we do not buy fiction in hardcover, only paperback.
- We are usually not interested in used cookbooks, self-help books, diet and health books, business books, popular biographies or children's books.
- We are most interested in literary fiction, mysteries, art, photography, architecture, history, hard science (not nature), and scholarly press books.
- We buy rare and antiquarian books. Please call ahead to discuss if you feel you have something that falls into this category. Ask for Jason.
- All books must be clean and unmarked with no cracking or bending of the spine in order to be considered.
- It is always wise to call ahead before bringing in books to make sure there is a buyer available. Most days the book buyer leaves between 5 and 6pm. Make sure to bring a photo ID with you when you sell books--we require it for all cash payments. If the amount is greater than $50, we may choose to write you a check. We will also always offer you a slightly higher amount in store credit if you would prefer to replenish your bookshelves.
We do not accept donations. If you're looking for a place to donate used books, we suggest the following places. Please contact each shop individually for guidelines and hours they accept donations.