Other Books in Series
This is book number 1 in the Core Teachings of Dalai Lama series.
- #2: The Complete Foundation: The Systematic Approach to Training the Mind (Core Teachings of Dalai Lama #2) (Paperback): $18.95
- #3: Where Buddhism Meets Neuroscience: Conversations with the Dalai Lama on the Spiritual and Scientific Views of Our Minds (Core Teachings of Dalai Lama #3) (Paperback): $15.26
- #4: Perfecting Patience: Buddhist Techniques to Overcome Anger (Core Teachings of Dalai Lama #4) (Paperback): $17.06
- #5: Stages of Meditation: The Buddhist Classic on Training the Mind (Core Teachings of Dalai Lama #5) (Paperback): $15.26
- #7: Our Human Potential: The Unassailable Path of Love, Compassion, and Meditation (Core Teachings of Dalai Lama #7) (Paperback): $17.96
- #8: Refining Gold: Stages in Buddhist Contemplative Practice (Core Teachings of Dalai Lama #8) (Paperback): $16.16
The "Core Teachings of the Dalai Lama" series begins with this small book of teachings by His Holiness, the perfect introduction to traditional Tibetan Buddhist thought and practice.
There is no one more suited to introduce beginners—and remind seasoned practitioners— of the fundamentals of Tibetan Buddhism than His Holiness the Dalai Lama. Speaking to an audience of Western students, the Dalai Lama shows us how to apply basic Buddhist principles to our day-to-day lives. Starting with the very foundation of Buddhism, the Four Noble Truths, he provides the framework for understanding the Buddha’s first teachings on suffering, happiness, and peace. He follows with commentary on two of Buddhism’s most profound texts: The Eight Verses on Training the Mind and Atisha’s Lamp for the Path to Enlightenment, often referring to the former as one of his main sources of inspiration for the practice of compassion. With clear, accessible language and the familiar sense of humor that infuses nearly all of his work, the Dalai Lama invites us all to develop innermost awareness, a proper understanding of the nature of reality, and heartfelt compassion for all beings.
This book was previously published under the title Lighting the Way.
About the Author
HIS HOLINESS THE FOURTEENTH DALAI LAMA is considered the foremost Buddhist leader of our time. The exiled head of the Tibetan people, he is a Nobel Peace Laureate, a Congressional Gold Medal recipient, and a remarkable teacher and scholar who has authored over one hundred books.
With Desmond Tutu, he co-authored The Book of Joy, which has spent several weeks on the NYT bestseller list.