More than 5 million English learners attend U.S. public schools--and yet fewer than 3% of teachers are certified to work with them. Fill that gap in teacher education with this practical and comprehensive textbook, an evidence-based guide to providing English learners in Pre-K-Grade 6 with explicit, systematic instruction on language and literacy fundamentals. Aligned with IDA's Knowledge and Practice Standards, this book prepares current and future educators to teach English learners the key components of language and literacy, as first described in the National Literacy Panel report. For each component, teachers will get a dedicated chapter with research-based insights on how to teach English learners, guidance on making connections across languages when teaching that component, and ready-to-use principles and strategies for instruction. Learning objectives, study questions, and extended application activities help educators grow their knowledge and apply it in their classrooms. An essential text for courses on literacy foundations and biliteracy--and an ideal in-service professional development resource--this accessible book will give teachers the knowledge base they need to help English learners develop strong literacy skills and achieve academic success. PREPARE TEACHERS TO:
- Enter their classroom with a full understanding of the language and literacy development of English learners
- Teach English learners the key components of language and literacy: phonological awareness, phonics, vocabulary, fluency, comprehension, spelling, and writing skills
- Apply insights from current, reliable research on how best to teach English learners
- Use specific, evidence-based principles, strategies, activities, and sample teacher "student dialogues to guide and strengthen instruction
- Leverage technology to adapt and enhance instruction for English learners
ONLINE COMPANION MATERIALS INCLUDED: Faculty will get helpful PowerPoint slides for each chapter, plus a sample syllabus that shows you how to use this book in your course.