Other Books in Series
- #1: An Introduction to Buddhism (Core Teachings of Dalai Lama #1) (Paperback): $15.26
- #2: The Complete Foundation: The Systematic Approach to Training the Mind (Core Teachings of Dalai Lama #2) (Paperback): $18.95
- #3: Where Buddhism Meets Neuroscience: Conversations with the Dalai Lama on the Spiritual and Scientific Views of Our Minds (Core Teachings of Dalai Lama #3) (Paperback): $15.26
- #4: Perfecting Patience: Buddhist Techniques to Overcome Anger (Core Teachings of Dalai Lama #4) (Paperback): $18.95
- #5: Stages of Meditation: The Buddhist Classic on Training the Mind (Core Teachings of Dalai Lama #5) (Paperback): $16.95
- #7: Our Human Potential: The Unassailable Path of Love, Compassion, and Meditation (Core Teachings of Dalai Lama #7) (Paperback): $19.95
- #8: Refining Gold: Stages in Buddhist Contemplative Practice (Core Teachings of Dalai Lama #8) (Paperback): $17.95
This beloved classic brings together in one volume all the major themes of the Dalai Lama's teachings such as religious values, the four noble truths, karma, compassion, and meditation.
Drawn from the lectures he gave during his first three visits to North America, the book covers the core subject matter of Tibetan Buddhism, as presented for the first time to an English-speaking audience. The chapters are arranged developmentally from simple to complex topics, which include the luminous nature of the mind, the four noble truths, karma, the common goals of the world's religions, meditation, deities, and selflessness. Central to all these teachings is the necessity of compassion--which the Dalai Lama says is "the essence of religion" and "the most precious thing there is."
About the Author
THE DALAI LAMA is considered the foremost Buddhist leader of our time. The exiled spiritual head of the Tibetan people, he is a Nobel Peace Laureate, a Congressional Gold Medal recipient, and a remarkable teacher and scholar who has authored over one hundred books.